There are so many people talking about community, but few have a clear definition of what exactly it is. I've created a framework that can be the basis of conversations and give us common ground.
Communities have the same 3 fundamental components. Understanding these components enables us to design communities that deliver real value and achieve the goals of their members.
Definition: A community is a group of people with a commonality who engage with each other in spaces of interaction.
A community is defined by, and must have, 3 key components:
- Having played soccer on the same team in high school
- Occupying the same profession
- Having been through the same traumatic experience
- Living in the same neighborhood
- Having dinner (networking dinner for CFOs)
- Conversing or discussing topics (any subreddit)
- Competing in a sport (pick-up soccer after work)
- Sharing resources (flea market)
- Online discussion spaces: Twitter, Facebook Groups, Reddit
- Town coffee shop
- Message board (digital or physical)
- RPG Games
- Private clubs