The Community Club

Engaging with your community champions...

Katie Ray
Mom of 2 Huskies, Gin Enthusiast, Baylor Bear and Red Raider, Active Learner
惻1 min read

Hey Friends! How often do you communicate with your Community Champions? I have been sending them 1-3 times a week but not getting a lot of responses back.

My messaging is usually this:

1. Mondays: what are you working on this week and how can we help you?

2. Wednesdays: come share your thoughts on this community post from (name).

3. Thursday/Friday: How was your week? Did you accomplish your goals?

I have even been changing it up and throwing in competitions and challenges like (whoevers post gets the most responses by EOD will get a gift card, etc.) those usually get around 4 of the 12 Community champions engaged.

Discussion (5)

Collapse
hnbarr profile image
Heather

It may be nice to add some specifics to the posts. I agree with what Ben said below, about "What was your win this week?" I feel that 'wins' can sometimes feel easier to share than the status of a goal one is working towards.

For your Wednesday post, if you're not already, you could add a small summary of the topic or issue that the OP is sharing. Something like this:
"Tiffany is looking for some advice from other community builders on implementing a new recognition program into their community strategy. Jump in the thread with us to share your experiences and opinions!"

I do these every week as well in our spaces, in addition to a shout out. This is a mention in the community space about a specific members contributions, to thank them for their participation!

Collapse
joannecruz profile image
JoAnne Cruz

solid pieces of advice! how are your experiences with engagement when you post specifically as such?

Collapse
hnbarr profile image
Heather

The key is consistency.
When we first started doing these, there wasn't much feedback or engagement. As our members see this becoming more of a concrete expectation and they now know where to look for these, engagement has gone up quite a bit more. It's still moving a little slow, as we started a few of months ago, but it's increasing as we keep sharing & recognizing!
So definitely keep it up! :)

Collapse
jocelynhsu profile image
Jocelyn

Hey Katie, love that you're checking in with your Community Champions. Is the main issue that you feel like they're not communicating with you or that they're not participating in the community?

If it's more about lack of communication between you and the Community Champions, I think it's worth having an honest conversation and getting feedback about how often they'd like to communicate and in what formats. Some folks may be more receptive to 1:1 phone calls every month or group calls. They might be seeing your messages and deciding it's not important to respond.

If you're not seeing the expected amount of activity from them in your community, I would still recommend having a conversation with them, especially the folks who aren't responding as much, to get a better understanding of what's going on. Sometimes folks just get busy with work or life. Other times, they're not sure where or how to participate (eg. all the questions are answered).

Hope that's helpful!

Collapse
ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Similar to yours, we have a Friday "What was your win this week?"