The Community Club

Lauren Clevenger✨
Lauren Clevenger✨

Posted on

Measuring Time to Response & Resolution

Are you measuring average time (in hours) to first response and best answer/resolution for your Community?

If so, what goals do you have in place? I would love to learn what an industry benchmark is for these metrics.

Discussion (2)

Collapse
alex profile image
Alex Angel

Feverbee did an analysis on a few communities last year and found that responding within 18 hours was the ideal window of time. This may be a good starting point but take this with a grain of salt, imo, because every community is different and members have different expectations.

For me personally, if someone in our Slack group hasn't received a response within two hours or so (during working hours) I'll either respond myself or tag in someone else that I think would have a good answer/insight. When I sign on in the morning I try and respond to anything without a response that happened overnight. This response time is pretty fast in the grand scheme of things, but it's important because our community is intentionally on the smaller side and there is more of an expectation of immediacy (even if it's not really immediate). For larger communities I think that expectation generally diminishes, and 18 hours begins to feel a bit more reasonable.

Collapse
laurenfaye512 profile image
Lauren Clevenger✨ Author

Yes! I've seen the Feverbee analysis too! I think 18 hours is likely going to be our benchmark for average time to first response -- unless I hear something widely different from other community leaders out there! ;)

Also, I totally agree with you on Slack. At its core, Slack is a chat tool and meant to be more synchronous and in the moment. If a post goes without a response for a couple of hours, it can really make the community feel like a ghost town. Larger forums/community platforms have an expectation of being more asynchronous, I think. This is what makes the 18-hour window feel attentive and quick, without waiting too long.