The Community Club

Oana Filip
Oana Filip

Posted on

Acknowledging recognition within communities

Hey,

I'm researching how other community professionals reward their members. I'm primarily interested in finding out ideas and insights that work within online communities.

I've noticed so far, as both a gal in charge of building one and as a member, that most of the tactics fit two main containers.

1. Extrinsic motivation: here goes all the stuff you already know, from T-shirts, stickers, and such to gamification systems and handwritten thank you cards.
  2. Intrinsic motivation: here lies the secret sauce of sustainable communities, such as genuine connection, helping others, feeling heard, etc.

Which worked for you, and what is missing from the landscape?

Also, did you run any specific online campaign for your most active members? Example: creating a dedicated website/page to show your love and appreciation, something similar to a wall of fame.

Looking forward to bouncing ideas,
Oana

Discussion (6)

Collapse
maxpete profile image
Max Pete

Great question, @oana ! We have definitely rewarded our community with extrinsic motivation, such as merch for members who are super engaged/helping out others, etc. We don't necessarily have a gamification process of when a user hits a certain amount of engagement points that they would get a gift from us. We have actually been shifting towards more of a "surprise and delight" strategy (commsor.com/post/surprise-and-delight) where we give randomly to members who have been showing a lot of iniatibe for the sake of helping one another out. That really works for our team and the community member always feels appreciated for it!

For our most active users, we have made them into what we call our "super users", but dedicating a page or channel for them is a great idea and something that I think would be great to implement.

Hope this helps!

Collapse
oana profile image
Oana Filip Author

Thanks, @maxpete ! A balance between these two could work for us, too, and it makes a lot of sense to adjust depending on what I aim to accomplish. Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜‹

We want to explore creating a dedicated page/channel for our super members because the relationship is somehow different. And that's okay. Who said that all the bonds within a community are equal after all, right? We plan to experiment and try to use this bridge as an organic approach to finding ambassadors. I've experienced it on my skin as a member, and it felt amazing.

Congrats on what you're doing with Freelance Founders. I love it!

Collapse
maxpete profile image
Max Pete

Awesome, definitely keep me posted with how this goes. Thank you so much!

Collapse
rosemaryoneill profile image
Rosemary ONeill

One thing we started doing a while back is giving ad hoc custom titles to members who did something extraordinary. It was different from the "reach 200 points, get a higher level title" thing, in that it came directly from our team and was unique. That's why you'll find someone with the title "Senior Bug Hunter Extraordinaire" in our community!

Collapse
adventuresofv profile image
Victoria

Great question.

A few things that have worked for me, which you're ont he right track with delineating by motivation type: gamification process with dashboard, 1 referral campaign with overt and live list of who's winning, swag of course, sending a kindle book or PDF version of gifted reading, asking certain members to be part of some unique project or lead a webinar or form an advisory board, provide certs of appreciation or similar, create a linkedin badge for reaching some certain level, and so on.

These all worked for me, but they all depended on timing of the year and duration. Some things only lasted one iteration, some have become rituals to look toward, and some just fizzle out [for me in my most recent community, it was office hours]

Collapse
oana profile image
Oana Filip Author

Thanks a bunch, @adventuresofv ! Great insights ๐Ÿ‘