The Community Club

Discussion on: Need Advice From Community Pros - Lightning in a Bottle

Collapse
oana profile image
Oana Filip

Hi David,

I work at Pixelgrade, a design studio where we create WordPress products since 2011.
What worked for us (also a small independent & bootstrapped team) was transparent from the early days. We created Transparency Reports every six months and shared everything that made sense: from money to people, from product to marketing strategies. Here's the latest: pixelgrade.com/upstairs/transparen...

As a community builder with ten years of experience, I noticed that being transparent and asking for help is always a to-do. Ask your current tribe, no matter how small it is, their expectations, why they stick around if they would like to contribute, and such.

You might be surprised. Cheers! 😎

Collapse
davidkylechoe profile image
David Kyle Choe Author

This is really great advice.

What was the feedback on the very first Transparency Report?

Collapse
oana profile image
Oana Filip

Hi David! Well, it depends who you ask, but from what the Co-founders told me, people were very supportive and grateful for such openness. Peers started to do similar reports; customers were a bit mindblown about the level of information we provided; the team was happy because we kept our promise around transparency.

Maybe a report is too much, but a newsletter made with the same approach in mind can do the job. In the end, it's more about the intention than the medium per se. Cheers!

Thread Thread
David Kyle Choe Author

Awesome! We are super into it. I read the most recent one, and I think having a sneak peek into a company just makes folks more invested. Feels so much more human.

I was especially interested in the office remodeling process.

Thread Thread
oana profile image
Oana Filip

I'm happy I could lend a hand. If you need in-depth details, including the remodeling process, please ping me at oana@pixelgrade.com. I will gladly follow-up. Cheers! 😎

Thread Thread
David Kyle Choe Author

Awesome! Thanks so much