I recently designed Developmental Project Canvas for project reflection.The Canvas is based on the Developmental Project Model.
The model uses the following eight dimensions to describe project.
There are two ways to use the Developmental Project Canvas.
If you are a project participant, you can adopt the Project-for-Me approach which pays attention to the development of yourself. If you are a project curator, you can adopt the Project-for-Us approach, your goal is the development of the project.
The Project-for-Me view adopts the perspective of Project Member. Your focus is your actions. The Developmental Project Model offers eight dimensions for reflecting on your actions.
- Purpose: Why do you want to join the project? What’s your motivation?
- Position: What’s the social structure of the project? Do you take a certain responsibility in the project? Do you change your role in the process?
- Program: Does the project have formal organizational processes? How do you get involved with the program?
- Social: How do you connect with others due to joining the project?
- Content: How do you acquire new information and knowledge due to joining the project?
- Action: What actually do you do due to joining the project?
- Theme: Do you find some new and interesting themes for your career development?
- Identity: How do you perceive your identity before and after joining the project?
The Project-for-Me view adopts the perspective of Project Curator which refers to the initiator or leader of the project. You should reflect on the status of the project from eight dimensions of the Developmental Project Model.
- Purpose: What is the purpose behind the project? Why do people need to join the project?
- Position: What’s the social structure of the project? Does the project have different formal roles for members?
- Program: Does the project have formal organizational processes? How do you manage the program?
- Social: How does the project offer opportunities for members to connect with others?
- Content: How does the project offer new information and knowledge for members?
- Action: What actually members can do after they join the project?
- Theme: What are the themes of the project? Are these themes attractive enough?
- Identity: What is the brand identity of the project? How do people perceive the brand identity of the project?
You can find more details and a case study here: