Cover image for Tips & tricks for support in a Slack community

Tips & tricks for support in a Slack community

stevenaanen profile image Steven Aanen ・1 min read

Hey everyone! πŸ‘‹ Lately, we’ve been talking to a number of people from software startups with a Slack community and their struggles to provide support there.

We learned about some tips & tricks they use and are putting that in a Notion doc right now. Would be happy to share it with you!

Anyone interested? Please let me know in the comments so I can share it personally later this week to get some early feedback!

Discussion

pic
Editor guide
Collapse
tessak22 profile image
Tessa Kriesel

This is great content. I share this with folks a lot when they ask if they should have a Slack instance and a community platform. And my answer is always YES! then connect the two. Slack gives you the benefit of being somewhere that your community members are also always at, but the community platform gives you the tools and SEO power to grow your business. You should definitely share your Slack tips, I would likely link to them. You could write a blog piece here. πŸ˜‰

Collapse
stevenaanen profile image
Steven Aanen Author

Awesome, will put you on the list Tessa! You're right, creating a dedicated place for both can be very powerful. The low barrier to asking a question on Slack is still very powerful for members I think, hard to get the same experience with a forum.

Yeah maybe we should turn it into a blog post! Curious about the feedback this week, if it's received well we will.

Collapse
tessak22 profile image
Tessa Kriesel

For sure. For the Slack thing, we actually created a bot that would recognize a question (with a ?) and then ask if they would rather help others by asking this in our forum. When you frame it in that way, not many folks can consciously say no to helping others. Therefore, the bot would create the post in the forum and Slack was still easy and accessible for them, but it encouraged deeper engagement beyond Slack.

Thread Thread
Steven Aanen Author

That's a great tip actually! Would you mind sharing a screenshot so I can include it in the resource? There's no DMs here I think so maybe email? Thanks in advance!

Thread Thread
tessak22 profile image
Tessa Kriesel

I don't have a screenshot and am no longer at that company, however, I am sure there are lots of opportunities to get people thinking about building Slack bots to make things happen in general. :)

Collapse
peterfayle profile image
Peter Fayle

SEO power - that's what I've been forgetting. Must be thinking too short term πŸ™‚

Definitely interested in seeing tips+tricks, Steven πŸ‘

Collapse
adityatugnait profile image
Aditya Tugnait

Definitely! I recently started a community of freelancers and creators! So far, it's been going great and a ton of interesting people have joined.
I would really appreciate some tips and tricks though

Collapse
iamcesarromero profile image
cesar

Would love to check out those slack tips :)

Collapse
Steven Aanen Author

Definitely! Here's the link Cesar: notion.so/f86f32dcb0174038b66341c6...

Let me know what you think!